How can painful light sensitivity be treated?

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi! When I woke this morning I had a slight pain in my right eye from any light. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You will need eye examination and tests as advised below

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

Eye pain with light is called photophobia and is generally caused by conditions that affect the cornea (the outer layer on the apple of the eye). That one has pain receptors and gets painful when we see the light.
Anther cause of eye pain with light might be also due to high pressure in the eye. The light causes the apple of the eye to constrict and this can be painful in the pressure in that compartment of the eye is high.

In both cases it is good to see a doctor and have your eyes examined with what we call slit lamp examination and also check the pressure in the eye. The doctor might also do fluorescein examination to rule out scratches or lesions in the cornea.

After having these examinations done your doctor will better understand what is going on and will be able to rule in or out these 2 conditions that need medical attention as soon as possible.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to reply in case more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad