Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

How can painful light sensitivity be treated?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 605 Questions
Hi! When I woke this morning I had a slight pain in my right eye from any light. Please advise.
Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Zotaj Antoneta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You will need eye examination and tests as advised below

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

Eye pain with light is called photophobia and is generally caused by conditions that affect the cornea (the outer layer on the apple of the eye). That one has pain receptors and gets painful when we see the light.
Anther cause of eye pain with light might be also due to high pressure in the eye. The light causes the apple of the eye to constrict and this can be painful in the pressure in that compartment of the eye is high.

In both cases it is good to see a doctor and have your eyes examined with what we call slit lamp examination and also check the pressure in the eye. The doctor might also do fluorescein examination to rule out scratches or lesions in the cornea.

After having these examinations done your doctor will better understand what is going on and will be able to rule in or out these 2 conditions that need medical attention as soon as possible.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to reply in case more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor