What causes mucus discharge in stools?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 2 Jul 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been passing nothing but mucus sometimes, then others jellyfish looking things accompany my stools, and others there are these reddish raw meat looking objects. I passed something today that was like a large flat black olive (Dark Brown & Blackish tiny spots) it was the size of my thumb. It was hard on one side and had like very smooth and firm fresh olive like skin and the other side was like it unfolded into several canals. I think it was alive at some point in me as I have a throbbing feeling in my rectum like a spasm, or a throbbing heartbeat but it changes the pulsing rhythm sporadically. I'm really scared with what I saw today, can't sleep. Rectum is throbbing when I relax, and I have a slight headache on the left side and behind my eye. tongue is also coated with a whitish green film.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Colonoscopy and CT scan of abdomen

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and history.

After reading and re-reading the history and the column of ''medications tried'' I would advise you the following.
*'Repeat Hemogram to know hemoglobin and WBC count's present status.
*Repeat stool tests for 3 days as some/one sample is not sufficient to find the positive findings.
*IT should be brought to the notice of The Pathologists about the history you have provided here , so that it helps him to find more.
*More important in your case is a colonoscopy and contrast enhanced CT scan of the abdomen to rule out malignancy/ intususeption of intestine and so on.
You history indicates more into this possibility= (Your History of I have been passing nothing but mucus sometimes, then others jellyfish looking things accompany my stools, and others there are these reddish raw meat looking objects.)

ABOUT ::: I passed something today that was like a large flat black olive (Dark Brown & Blackish tiny spots) it was the size of my thumb. It was hard on one side and had like very smooth and firm fresh olive like skin and the other side was like it unfolded into several canals.
>> I do not think this fits into any of the known worms that a man harbors. Tapes worms can be something like this; but not the ways you explained. This can be shredded part of the diseased intestinal mucosa. I think colonoscopy will be of a great help as also the opinion of the Gastroenterologist ( he is going to conduct colonoscopy too).

The green tongue can be secondary to the colonic problem. The diagnosis and treatment of the original problem will also help to cure rest of the associated problems.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad