What causes morning sickness in old age?

Dr. Sadiq Mughal

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: What is the cause of morning sickness in old age and what can one do about it?
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Morning sickness is term used to describe nausea vomiting, change in taste and epigastric distress in pregnant woman, early in the morning, due to hormonal effects of pregnancy. These symptoms do not occur in old age, since there is no chance of pregnancy in old age. However, symptoms like morning sickness that is nausea, vomiting, epigastric distress and change in taste can occur at any age, any time and to any sex.

The commonest cause of morning sickness like symptoms in old age could be gastritis (inflammation of stomach). Gastritis could be secondary to increased acid production because of infection by H Pylori bacteria or because of spicy food or NSAIDS (pain killers).

The second common cause of these symptoms especially in old age could be cancer.

I would suggest you to consult a physician who will be able to evaluate you for these symptoms.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have any more queries.

Dr Sadiq

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan