What causes mildly raised INR level despite taking Warfarin?
it was 4.2. The amount of warfarin was 5 mg. I took a 1/2 a tablet the last two days but level hasn't changed.
I'm also taking 1000 mg Vitamin C and an average of 2 Tylenol a day. Anyway I can get the level within
the proper boundary ? Also, how about Praxada ? Got apt with cardiac specialist Friday.
Any ideas ?
Stewise approach warfarine dose/INR measurement- please see in detail
Thanks for asking at HCM
I carefully read your question and understnad your concern.
We aim to have INR 2-3 in patients with warfarine, in some cases up to 3.5.
In your case you have mildly over the desired level and it would be good to not allow it to go beyond 4.5 or 5.
If you have done a dose change from one tablet a day to 1/2 tablet a day the last 2 days i would recommend you to:
- Continue to take 1/2 tablet a day for another 2-3 days and check the INR regularly. Most of the times the INR will drop in the comming days with the dose reduction you have done
- If the INR does not drop or has the tendency to go up and reaches 4.5 than hold one dose (do not take it for one day)
- Than the next day go on with 1/2 tablet a day and continue to measure INR regularly. Normally at this time INR should have dropped down.
- If you are on a 1/2 tablet a day for 7-10 days and still the INR is above 3.5 than you can try to have 1/2 tablet a day for 3 days and quarter of a tablet for a day. Monitor INR regularly. It should not be under 2.5 and not over 3.5. If lower than 2.5 go back one step and increase the dose backwards.
The risk for bleeding in most patients is low as long as INR is kept under 5 so no need to panic but you need to carefully adjust the doses to help keep INR in the therapeutic levels 2.5-3.5.
If you have signs of bleeding like skin bruises, bleeding gums, dark black stools than you will need to stop warfarine and see a doctor as soon as possible.
Attention: Vitamin C might reduce the effect of warfarine. I would like you to have this in mind in case you are considering to change any doses of it.
Hope this is helpful to you and aswers to your question. In case of any concenrs related to this questions please let me know. Otherwise please close and rate the answer.
Dr Antoneta Zotaj.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Does warfarin cause wind
- What causes bloody sputum while taking warfarin
- Does warfarin cause constipation
- Warfarin causing heart palpitations
- Does taking dilantin and warfarin cause infertility
- Does warfarin cause hallucinations
- What warfarin cause a period after delivery
- What causes dark stool warfarin
- Warfarin causes osteoporis and tooth
- Warfarin causes blood in stool
- What causes an episode of chills, dizziness and focusing issues?
- What causes mildly raised INR level despite taking Warfarin?
- What does the following colposcopy report indicate?
- What do the following ultrasound reports indicate?
- What causes a red rash on the arm?
- What causes diarrhea, severe cramps and bloating?
- Suggest treatment for small bumps between the legs and near the buttocks
- What causes redness in the eyes?
- Suggest treatment for severe joint pain in the knees, elbows and ankles
- Suggest treatment for severe headaches and mouth ulcers while having...