What causes lump on left side of collarbone?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I have a asymmetrical palpable small lump on the left side of the front of my collarbone, it is XXXXXXX doesn't hurt and I'm asymptomatic, and a young healthy 24 year old male. Any information is much appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely its a regular lymph node.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Most likely its a lymph node. As its small and rounded, no need to be worried about it. Especially if you are thin person. Thin persons can have lymph nodes palpable here. Its a normal thing.
I suggest you to have it under observation. If it will stay the same, wont get larger, no need to be worried. Otherwise, soft tissues ultrasound should be done.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Thank you for the timely responce. To further add, I just came back from a week trip in Cuba, where I may not be immune to new bacteria's present to me. I first noticed the lump about halfway through the trip, not sure how relevant it would be, but I found the correlation somewhat interesting as I believe that specific lymph node is related to ridding of stomach bacteria, so maybe its something I ate?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its not due to stomach infection for sure.

Detailed Answer:
Stomach bacteria does not cause enlarged lymph nodes. Please note that in the GI tract wall there are groups of cells similar to those in the lymph nodes. In case of infection, intestines wall is what gets somehow "enlarged".
But it may appear due to some throat infection for example. Just keep it watching.