What causes lump on head after an injury in an infant?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My 8month old boy hit his head 2 days ago now woke up a soft mushy bump to his left temporal making his head look a little bit deformed. No crying
Not irritable still playing eating and sleeping well.
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Haematoma

Detailed Answer:
hi,

thanks for your question.

this lump is called a haematoma. it is blood under the skin which has collected as a result of the injury. it will subside with time and bruise a little more over the next few days. as long as your child remains otherwise well I would not worry about the haematoma. if you could post a picture it will help confirm the diagnosis.

I hope this answers your question.

best wishes

Karl

Follow-up: What causes lump on head after an injury in an infant? 12 hours later
The hematoma is more like the size of a half average XXXXXXX How come it shows no signs of bruising no redness from the impact of the hit?The swelling appears to be more to the parietal side of his head

Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
no picture

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up points but I cannot see a picture yet. The parietal region is the side of the head yes.

Best wishes

Follow-up: What causes lump on head after an injury in an infant? 30 hours later
I'm having difficulty putting up a picture......yes I'm talking of the left side of his head. Does hematoma have a fracture underlying beneath or No? How long does it take for the swelliing to start subsiding and bruise? Coz his swelling shows no bruising at all. Just the soft mushiness remains.

Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Haematoma discussed

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question. A haematoma does not mean he has a fracture however a haematoma can co-exist with a fracture. If he is otherwise entirely well then he does not require a skull Xray. The bump and mushiness can continue for a number of weeks. You may not see a bruise. If you are concerned that he may have a fracture or he has any other symptoms such as vomiting or increased sleepiness then I would seek a medical consultation.

I hope this further answers your question.

Best wishes

Follow-up: What causes lump on head after an injury in an infant? 3 hours later
His patterns have not changed at all......still eating playing and sleeping accordingly. No vomiting noted and sleeping accordingly.

Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reassuring

Detailed Answer:
very reassuring!

Follow-up: What causes lump on head after an injury in an infant? 2 days later
yes and thank you!

Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Hello

Detailed Answer:
Welcome

Follow-up: What causes lump on head after an injury in an infant? 6 hours later
The bump and soft mushiness is completely gone with no bruising remained. Took exactly a week. Thank you again for comforting me along the way! And continue being blessed in your awesome work!

Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:

You are welcome.