What causes lower gastrointestinal pain?

Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: The quick question: What should be taken to relieve lower GI pain?
History: A couple years ago I had pain for several years in my lower GI. I went to a physician, explained it was the lower GI constant pain (I had to resort to drinking perrier, eating oyster shell crackers and applesauce....the like). He prescribed Prilosec. It helped a bit, stress was reduced. I saw a GI doctor a few months ago, and again explained the lower GI pain which is not as chronic, still keeps me from life functioning without distress, though. This doctor did not help. Please advise what is best for lower GI. I do not have GERD, etc., thank goodness. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need a few more details

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

I will be able to help you better if you can describe your lower gi pain in a bit more detail. Like

1- is it associated with diarrhea or constipation.

2- is there blood or mucous discharge per anum.

3 - any history of recent unexplained weight loss.

4- the exact nature and site of pain - burning or sharp or twisting type of pain?

5- any usg or colonoscopy report, if done.

Waiting for your reply.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj