What causes lower back pain?
Incorrect sitting technique the commonest cause
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Dear Mr XXXXXXX
It is one of the most commonest occupational hazard faced by many individuals.
It is usually due to
1. Incorrect way of sitting on chair
2. Prolonged duration of working sitting on the chair
3. Stress and anxiety
4. Wrong ergonomics of chair
5. Prolonged use of desktop computer
I would advise you the following which will definitely help
1. Take Frequent breaks from work: Stand up stretch your back and arms every 30-45 minutes. Walk for 2-3 minutes.
2. Sitting tips and practical guidelines:
a. First, begin by sitting comfortably as close as possible to your desk so that your upper arms are parallel to your spine. Rest your hands on your work surface (e.g. desktop, computer keyboard). If your elbows are not at a 90-degree angle, adjust your office chair height either up or down.
b. Use foot rest: The level of the knees should be higher than the hips, this will reduce strain on the back
c. Your bottom should be pressed against the back of your chair, and there should be a cushion that causes your lower back to arch slightly so that you don’t slump forward or slouch down in the chair as you tire over time. This low back support in the office chair is essential to minimize the load (strain) on your back. Never slump or slouch forward in the office chair, as that places extra stress on the structures in the low back, and in particular, on the lumbar discs.
d. Use of arm Rest: It is verym important measure to offload the stress on the spine.
Adjust the armrest of the office chair so that it just slightly lifts your arms at the shoulders. Use of an armrest on your office chair is important to take some of the strain off your upper spine and shoulders, and it should make you less likely to slouch forward in your chair.
3. Weight reduction: This is very important measure to take the load off the spine
4. Hot water fomentation: Using hot water fomentation before retiring to bed will be very relaxing and will relieve muscle spasm.
5. Back muscle exercise to strengthen paraspinal muscle: Once the pain is reduced you can start muscle exercise
If there is no shooting pain in the lower limb or no numbness then there is no cause for concern. following the above will be helpful.
If the pain persists, or there is shooting pain in lower limb or development of numbness, assessment by spine surgeon will be important.
Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.
Dr Deepak Kishore
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Causes lower back pain
- What gastro problems cause lower back pain
- Having lower back pain what could be the cause
- What causes constant dehydration and lower back pain
- What causes abdominal and lower back pain
- What can cause lower back pain
- What causes lower back pain for women
- What causes persistant lower back pain for years
- What causes mild lower back pain
- What causes lower back pain with stomach pain