What causes lower back pain in the morning that occasionally radiates down to the legs?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 12 Jul 2018 in Back Pain
Question: When I get up in the morning my lower back really hurts. I have to walk bent over for a little while, it is difficult to straighten up. I slowly work it out with exercise, back stretches and yoga. Sometimes pain radiates down my legs. It feels like a muscle thing, not a bone thing. I am 64 years old, in good health, take no medications, female and fairly active. This has been going on for months. The only time it stopped was when I got a kidney infection about a month and a half ago and was prescribed an antibiotic, the pain went away. I mentioned this to the doctor but it seemed unrelated. I had a lot of blood tests and my kidney and liver numbers are all good now, but the morning back pain is back
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be muscle spasm.

Detailed Answer:
A pain in the back only in the morning could be due to-
1. A beat-up mattress that does not give adequate support might cause stiffness and pain. You need to use a firm mattress preferably a cotton mattress which gives our back a good support.
2. Low oxygen levels in muscles while lying down- frequent change in postures or lying on your side might provide the relief.
3. Disc herniation or spinal canal stenosis- Can be diagnosed after investigations like MRI.
4. Arthritis or ankylosing spondylosis.
5. Weak core muscles-Strengthening the muscles that support the spine helps keep the spine in its proper position and reduce risk of sprains, strains and lower back pain. Maintain fitness with exercises that include back stretching and strengthening exercises under guidance of a physiotherapist.
A detailed examination by an orthpedician will help in detecting the exact cause. The treatment further depends on the cause.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thank you. You gave me some good avenues to explore. I didn't know what kind of specialist to see and I can certainly do more core exercises.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
All the abovesaid causes can be ruled out by proper investigations. Exercises will help you a lot.
Do recommend our services to your friends too in case you find it helpful.
Wishing you the best in whatever you do.
Best Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D