What causes lower abdominal pain along with constipation and bloating?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: 1. I have had continuous pain in my lower abdomen for the past 4 months.
2. My stools are very small and there's lots of wind coming out, generally I have lots of wind.
3. I sometimes struggle as the first part of my stools is hard and I don't appear to be doing enough for what I'm eating.
4. My GP has referred me to General Surgery at Kettering General and that appointment is 16/06/15.
5. Two nights ago I woke up in the night with my usual abdomen pain feeling very cold and started shaking/shivering this gradually got worse and it was if it was a result of shock/trauma (I'm an ex firefighter so I've seen many people in shock due to trauma).
6. During this time I was struggling with my breathing and gasping for breath and my pulse was 92 which is high for me normally 60ish, in total this went on for approximately 45 minutes and towards the end I was reaching/heaving but nothing came out.
7. I then fell asleep then woke up and I was ringing wet with sweat.
8. I have had no other signs of this since then.
9. Rang my GP Surgery this morning and the earliest appointment is 11/06/15
10. I'm 68 years old and male
11. Is it something that I should be concerned about and why?
Kind regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need work up, Multiple possibilities, Modification and home remedies

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Lower abdomen pain in age beyond 60 with constipation and bloating issues need evaluation to rule out any sinister cause with some work up like stool examination and if need be colonoscopy to rule out any mass lesion common in old age. That is the likely explanation of your referral from a GP to a surgeon. I think it should have been to a gastroenterologist as there is no need for any surgical intervention and screening is best done by the experts of gastroenterology.

If you had some recent trauma being a firefighter then that may explain surgery referral as traumatic injuries can lead to such excruciating pains and may need evaluation for any collection or bruises underneath. If no recent trauma then you being firefighter is not correlated with these pains.

Sweating episodes at night and raised pulses need a little evaluation as they may indicate multiple causes and need work up to narrow the differentials.

Old age related prostate problems like BPH may also give such pains in the lower abdomen and give such feeling but that usually is correlated with urinary frequency and hesitancy as well. So i doubt that will be a problem but referral to a surgeon may be explained by this suspicion too.

Nutshell it is not something to worry about. It can wait. Treat your symptoms till then with home remedies. Plenty of fluids intake, increase fiber intake minimum of 14 gram every 1000 calories. Adapt good toilet and bowel habits. Take some muscle relaxants and antispasmodics available over the counter and see if it helps.

At 11th XXXXXXX you will get a complete clinical correlation and you will have your answers. I am sure it won't be worrisome and easy to manage.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan

Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
What I was asking for is: the shaking/shivering and gasping for breath that I had in the night that lasted for approximately 45 minutes and ending in reaching/heaving without vomiting. Is this something to be concerned about?

The abdomen pain will be sorted once I've been to the hospital and they have found the problem.

I didn't say that being a firefighter had anything to do with it apart from I can recognise shock/shaking/shivering and this episode in the night was very similar or the same.

Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dyspepsia likely,

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

Abdominal pain with altered bowel habits, with sudden episode of retching and vomiting urges after a 45 minutes episode or air hunger and pulse change is likely a gastric discomfort.

usually such presentation is always ruled out for cardiac problems with an EKG and perfusion study but that presentation is quote different and does not self resolve and is usually associated with chest pain.

With your altered bowel movements history and constipation prevalence it is pretty much likely an exacerbation in guise of mere gastric discomfort or Dyspepsia which could have been easily resolved with some home remedies like baking soda , a glass of cold milk, a single dose of pepto etc or even fibrous diet with judicious fluid intake.

Nutshell, It Is Nothing To Worry About. just focus on diet and lifestyle modifications and get evaluated on XXXXXXX 11th for thorough clinical correlation. Right now all you need to do is focus on lifestyle and dietary modification and good toilet and bowel habits.

I hope it helps. I will be here if you need me.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan