• question-icon

What causes low libido while under stress?

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Hi am currently on Antie deporessents and live in Canada and have a aty hard time maintaining erection or even getting in the mood for sex I'm 27 and in a relationship which is ofcourse is on the rocks becouse of this problem I have tried many different kinda of Antie deporessents and all seem do to the same thing . My question will a doctor prescribe viagra for this or will he simply tell me to deal with it. My sex life Is basicly ruined .
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
Hello & thank you for submitting your question.

I am sorry to hear that you are suffering from depression as well as side-effects of medication. Depression itself can affect sexual health and decreased libido is also a common side effect of medication. I believe the best approach would be to address this with the physician managing your depression and explore possible options for changing your medication. Otherwise, a medicine for erectile dysfunction such as sildenafil (Viagra) might be an option to discuss. If you feel that your concerns are disregarded, I hope you may be able to find another physician who will address your concerns, as this affects your entire health and well-being.

In summary:
1. Depression can significantly affect sexual health.
2. Decreased libido is a common side-effect of some medications for depression.
3. There are other options in the way of depression symptom management which do not cause such side-effects and these should be discussed with your doctor
4. Your concerns about your sexual health are very valid and should be included in your overall treatment plan.

I hope you will feel better soon.

Yours in good health,
Dr Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist