What causes low hemoglobin and INR?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 23 Apr 2014 in Blood Disorders
Question: I know my Hemoglobin is low due to giving blood. Do you see any concerns here? Should the low INR concern me? If I understand correctly, it means I clot very rapidly.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer: INR of 1 is normal Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. An INR of 1 is normal and is the reference for the general population. However, if you are being treated with blood thinners for a particular disease condition, then we often want to have an INR which is in a particular range depending on what the condition is. For example, the goal may be 2.5-3.5 if you have had a pulmonary embolus. If you are being treated for a particular reason with anticoagulants, then talk to your doctors and get the dosages adjusted because it seems more likely that you are being under treated. If you are not on any anticoagulant treatment, then you are just perfect on this and there is no need to worry. Your hemoglobin, slightly lower than the normal but acceptable if you have recently donated blood. Donating blood is a good habit and I will like to encourage you on this. Your blood glucose numbers are rising, please try and talk to your doctors to address this. Cutting down on your weight, regular physical exercise, and eating less sugars would help with this. You may be diabetic if not already diagnosed as having diabetes. I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and please do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 23 hours later
Thank you Dr. Ditah.
Brief Answer: Thanks! Detailed Answer: Thank you for your kind words. I wish you well and humbled to know I have been of help to you this day. Feel free to direct future queries to me. Dr. Ditah, MD.