• question-icon

What causes low blood pressure with rapid weight loss?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I was at the gastro on Monday and my blood pressure was 88/58. Normally, my blood pressure ranges in the 115/70s. My doctor had me monitor my blood pressure for a few days and overall it stays within a low-but healthy range, but it will at times it has dropped into the 90/60s. My doctor said that I've had an EKG this month, blood work, and she thinks that it's due to rapid weight loss. I have lost about 10 pounds this month from having the flu and a bad bout with acid reflux. It's a bit intimidating because I know many of the symptoms I am experiencing are early warning signs for a heart attack. occasional sleep disturbance with sweating, anxiety, acid reflux. If I have had an EKG and bloodwork (healthy weight great cholesterol) do you think that my doctor is on the right track? She just told me to monitor it, increase fluids and salt. If it goes below 90 go to urgent care.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

I carefully reviewed your recent clinical symptomatology and would explain that your mild blood pressure decrease should not raise your fears about a possible heart attack, because it is a normal reaction to find lower BP values with weight decrease.

So, your doctor is right.

The greater the body weight the higher the trends of BP values and the contrary as well (low body weight leads to lower BP values).

With a normal ECG and your actual metabolic profile (optimal weight, low BP values, great cholesterol, etc.) you are set at the lowest probability of having a future heart attack.

So, relax and don't worry about!

I just recommend you to be more careful with your body weight lowering program (it should be more gradual and supervised).

Coming to this point, I advise you to keep following this healthy life-style regimen and check periodically your BP values.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further uncertainties, feel free to ask me again!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist