What causes loss of voice after thyroid cyst removal?

Posted on Thu, 6 Aug 2015 in General Health
Question: If I had a benign cyst removed from my thyroid a month ago and lost my voice two weeks later; is this loss of voice connected to my thyroid surgery? Would my loss of voice happen immediately after the surgery?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not likely since you have had normal voice 2 weeks after surgery

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using HCM,

From what I am understanding, you have had 2 weeks of normal voice after the surgery. It is plenty of time for the wound from the surgery to heal completely.

So, I don't think it is something connected with the surgery because if it was, even a small injury, it should have happened right after it.

The most common cause for change of voice is from a viral infection or from gastro-intestinal reflux. If you have symptoms that seem like any of them two, then the cause is settled. The voice should be normal for 2 weeks maximum.

If the voice stays like that for more then 2 weeks, then you should consider doing an exam that looks to your vocal cords from close, so you can take treatment as soon as possible.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you need any more clarification. Otherwise please close and rate the question.

DR. Klara
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Klarida Papaqako