What causes loos greenish stools?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am 61 year female. I have had IBS/GERD for a very long time. About 5 weeks ago I had a endoscopy / colonoscopy. All was good. I had a bowel movement yesterday that was loose/ watery blackish green stool. I had 2 movements the same.. I am so worried. I looked back at what I ate, and I am not on iron so what could this be? I also had a stomach xray, bloodwork within the last month too... all was good.
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its normal during diarrhoea due to hypermotility

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.

Nice to know, you are quite serious about each symptom.
In diarrhea, stools are usually green. The bile (which is green in color) secreted does not get digested due to increased motility during diarrhea episodes and results in green color. The Food, which is undigested will be dark, resulting in an overall dark green color.
Dark or blackish green watery diarrhea is a common during viral or bacterial infection leading to hypermotility (increase movements) of the intestines. It might also be due to irritable bowel syndrome.

Importantly, you need to watch out for your hydration. Take good amount of fluids. If the episode increases, you need to meet your doctor for further treatment with antibiotics.
Do not take anti-motility drugs, unless it is very severe.

Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Prakash HM
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 3 hours later
Thank u ... Today my bowel movement was very dark brown.. not blackish.. The day before I had the blackish stool I did eat several things that had iron in them... maybe?? With having all the tests I had a month ago, that would of detected any abnornmality????
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it would have detected.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
The endoscopy and colonoscopy would have detected any abnormalities inside the gut and is routinely required in elderly as they are the common locations of cancers.

As yours did not find anything, there is no abnormality.

Your blood work and stomach scan are also good - so nothing to worry about at present.
Repeat blood work annually once, specifically hemoglobin.
Eat nutritious, exercise moderately, sleep well and have a healthy life.
Any further queries, do ask.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Dr. Prakash HM