What causes brown stool?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, is any poop color that is brown normal? Earth tone hues of yellow and oranges and primarily brown
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Color of stools is rarely suggestive of problem.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear patient,
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
Have seen the photo attached by you.All shades of brown and even green stool are considered normal. Only rarely does stool color indicate a potentially serious intestinal condition. Bile breaks down into stercobilinogen.This stercobilinogen is brown in color and imparts color to stool.
Its absolutely normal.
Hope i was helpful.
Feel free to follow up.
Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
So all shades of brown, regardless of shade is ok?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:

Yes, unless you are having some symptoms, these are acceptable.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
No. my annual blood work showed bilirubin at 1 and my last annual was .07. Reference range 0-1.2 so it got me nervous. But if it's within normal, that's fine?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again my dear patient,
Bilirubin levels less then 3 has no clinical significance.
So it was absolutely fine.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana