What causes light-headedness and fainting episodes?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 14 Jan 2015 in Accident and Emergency
Question: I passed out in class the other night, and i think it's because i might have locked my knees, I am on my period and it was hot.However, the last couple days I have felt very tired, and a little lightheaded. I'm not sure if it's in my head since I do have anxiety, but I just want to know what it could be. I am a 28 year old female, I am 5'5" and weight 146 pounds.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely anxiety-related.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms and first of all, I would like to reassure you that these symptoms do not suggest any serious illness.

The most likely underlying cause is anxiety and these symptoms would settle down soon.

Due to periods, heat and tiredness, the blood supply to brain may reduce for a short while, leading to passing out, a condition known as syncope.

As I said, there is no need to worry. If you feel on the other hand that you need to rule out any illnesses.. then you should make an appointment with your doctor and have an EKG / ECG done after a full physical exam. The heart os the first organ to check in these situations. The anxiety though, in my opinion, is a more likely explanation of your symptoms.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj