What causes light-headedness and dizziness in a diabetic person?

Dr. Abhay A Mali

Diabetologist

Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 in Diabetes
Question: I am a 53 year old female. I am a diabetic. Take 850 mg metforman x3 daily; 10 mg lisinopril x 1 daily; glipizide 5 mg x 1 daily. My blood sugar was 134 fasting this morning; my blood pressure was 118/81. I weigh 268 lbs.

For the past two days I am feeling lightheaded and dizzy. In fact, I woke up at 2:30 am feeling dizzy. Never experienced this before.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may need further evaluation.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing HCM.

After going through your question, there is most likely possibility of hypoglycmia (low blood sugar) or postural hypotension (low blood pressure on standing) for your symptoms though other possibilities are hyperglycemia (high blood sugar level) or causes related to brain.

I would like to advise you -
1) Check your blood sugar level during episode if similar symptoms recur or if there are no symptoms check blood sugar level around same time 2.30am.
Also check post prandial blood sugar level and HbA1c considering High blood sugar may also give rise to similar symptoms.

2) Consult your doctor for -
- Blood pressure check up to detect postural hypotension.
- Detailed neurological examination considering TIA (Transient Ischemic attack) or Postural vertigo as one of the cause of your symptoms.

3) Depending upon above examination there may be need for brain imaging. (CT Scan or MRI of Brain with angiogram).

Hope I have answered your question,
I will be happy to answer your further questions, if any.
Otherwise close the question and rate the answer.

Dr Abhay Mali.
Diabetologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj