Can blood sugar rise despite taking Glipizide, Metformin and Levemir?

Endocrinologist
Question
My blood sugar rises between 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. I am a diabetic taking glipizide, metformin, and levemir. My blood sugar at 2:00 a.m. will be 80. But at 6:00 the reading will be 115

my last A1c reading was 7.3 a month ago. I take glipizide and metformin twice daily plus the insulin at night. per doctors' requests I have a tried a bedtime snack with no positive results.
Mon, 23 Apr 2018 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About glucose levels;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
It is a know phenomenon, between 2 a.m and 6 a.m there are some hormones activated that result in high glucose level.
Anyway, the values you reported are not to get concerned.A1c is a bit over normal ranges but some glucose measures during the day are also helpful ( especially postprandial).
If post prandial glucose is high ( over 140 mg/ dl) than the treatment should be changed.
If only fasting glucose is slightly elevated I would suggest to increase the dose of metformine at the evening.
I can not understand what would help a bedtime snack? Have your levels at 2 a.m been lower than 70 mg/dl?
Will be a pleasure to help you further.
kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Follow-up: Can blood sugar rise despite taking Glipizide, Metformin and Levemir? 3 days later
Thank you for your answers. I have two follow up questions. What about delaying the taking of the night time metformin? Are there any advantages of taking apple cider vinegar at night?

Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
about glucose levels:

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back!

Delaying the dose of levothyroxine, will not correct the fasting glucose.

You may increase the dose in the evening but you should check the glucose level at 2 a.m to exclude a low level at this time.

I would recommend once again to check the glucose level during the day, especially 2 hours after eating.

I do not recommend apple vinegar at night, as in most of the cases it may cause a gastroesophageal reflux or worsen it.

So it has more disadvantages than advantages.

The best way is to find the problematic blood sugars and adjust the treatment depending on it.
If fasting is high, increasing the dose of metformin or insulin would help. If postprandial is high, then probably another tablet should be added.

Wish the information will help.
Kind regards.
Dr.Mirjeta