What causes lesion on arm?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Should i be worried about this spot on my arm?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suggest a dermoscopic examination

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I have also reviewed the Image

I can see a pigmented lesion in this Image.
This looks well defined, has irregular margins, with a darker hue in center as compared to the periphery and seems to have some white areas (at 6 O'clock position and a small spot at center) as well. Can you upload a better quality of image which allows me to appreciate the topograpy more closely and clearly? Or I would suggest a dermoscopic examination for this lesion.

How long has it been there? Has it changed in anyway?in terms of size, color, symmetry? Are there any more such lesions on your skin? Is there a personal or family history of skin malignancy?

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 22 minutes later
Hello, thank you for the reply. It just recently seemed to become darker. I will send you a better picture as well. It seems like it is flat as well. When i rub my finger across it, I do not feel any elevation. I do not have any family history of melanoma either. Given the size of the mole i did not thonk it could be melanoma.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I woul rely on dermoscopy for this

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Thank you. .
The reason I suggest a dermoscopic examination is that it does'nt look perfectly symmetrical in this image, is darker in the center than at the periphery and has changed recently i.e become even darker recently.
Size <5mm and flat lesion are good but still I would suggest a dermoscopic examination to look for its pigment network. This would be more reliable in case of a doubtful lesion.