Is a persistent round reddish purple sore on the ankle indicative of melanoma?

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Cancer
Question: I just had two surgeries removed yesterday, one from my hand that was a "horned" something and one from my ankle that was round, reddish purple and crusty and sore and burned constantly before surgery. Dr said it was not XXXXXXX Cell, probably not Melanoma, but was the one in between. I couldn't totally understand him, I was in recovery, and my husband is hard of hearing, but until I see him again for follow up, I really am wondering if you can tell me what is most likely the name of them?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Actinic keratosis

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. From your description it sounds like it is Actinic keratosis, a pre cancer condition. Not quite cancer but it may develop into it.

However, I would need to see a picture of the lesion pre surgery in order to give an accurate answer.

Wishing you all the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng