What causes a small patch of skin discoloration under the right eye?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a small patch of skin discoloration under my right eye and just above the cheekbone. It has been a dark shade of brown for a number of years, but today I noticed it is slightly lighter in color and is no longer flat. There is some melanoma in my family (siblings). Is there any cause for concern?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload images

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.
I request you to kindly upload an image of the affected area in "Reports Section" so that I am able to guide you better.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 48 hours later
I just wanted to say that I apologize for the delay - had some technical issues in uploading the picture. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seborrheic keratosis or an Actinic keratosis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.
I have viewed the Image. I can see a polygonal lesion which is slightly darker than the surrounding skin.
Perhaps it is either an Actinic Keratosis or a Seborrheic keratosis but certainly doesn't look like a Melanoma in this Image. I would suggest a Dermoscopic examination for a confirmatory diagnosis.
How is the surface texture?Does it feel rough on surface?
Can you feel it in between the fingers?Does it feel firm or soft?
Do you have any symptoms like pain?

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
I can just feel a slight bump - it is not rough but it is firm. I have no symptoms from it, but was just concerned in that it was MUCH darker for a long time and suddenly raised slightly and changed color. Thank you for looking it over!
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding nodular lesion on face

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.
Can you upload an earlier image so that I can compare how it has changed?
Doesn't look like a typical nodular melanoma in this image because it is lighter (almost skin colored) and is uniformly colored. A nodular melanoma is usually darker. On the other hand, Amelanotic melanoma and Desmoplastic melanoma (lighter in color) is extremely rare
Perhaps it is just an intradermal nevus (nodular or raised) which can arise from a previously junctional nevus as part of natural progression of a nevus. Junctional nevus is usually flat.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T