What causes left-sided painful in tongue and swelling in neck after drinking alcohol?

Dr. Krunal Karade

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am not a regular drinker. I drink once in 15 days. Usually I drink whisky. The next day after drinking, when I eat, I feel pain at left side of my tongue and then followed up with swelling on left side of neck below the chin. This started happening since few months only. The swelling goes after 12 hours or so and then everything is back to normal. It may be something to do with my salivary glands. I am also a smoker. Is there anything I can do about this?
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are having salivary glands inflammation following drinking.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ,
Thanks for query .

I have read your query & understand your concerns .

As per your clinical history , it appears that you most probably having left side salivary glands inflammation ( submandibular & parotid gland ) following drinking .

If I am your treating doctor , I would advice
Avoid drinking alcohol . If not avoidable , drink alcohol with high dilution so that % of alcohol become low .
Use regular antiseptic mouth wash .
Don't drink & smoke simultaneously , it will increase chances of inflammation of salivary glands . Don't let mouth become dry , drink plenty of fluids .

Investigation needed ultrasound salivary glands when swelling reappear .

Hope this information helpful .

Regards .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj