What causes kidney stones?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in Kidney Conditions
Question: What causes kidney stones? how long do kidney stones take to form to the point where you can't pass them? I'm average?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Specific time period can't be predicted but it can take days

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

Based on the query you have shared, specific time period can't be mentioned as it depends upon multiple factors.

Some individuals have increased tendency to make kidney stones and are called stone formers as they pass more oxalate, calcium or other nonorganic compounds more frequently due to any alteration in kidney excretory mechanisms.

Simmilarly drinking less water, recurrent urinary tract infections and statsis of urine or obstructive uropathy due to any cause can facilitate stone formation. In such individuals if nidus of stone formation has formed it can take few days as stone start increasing with in days.

At first stones may start to appear as concretions in urine and may signal that something is going wrong by warning signs like blood in urine, retention, burning, or flank pains but some stones are relatively soft like staghorn or pyruvate ones which may grow big enough to fill whole kidney pelvis before giving any signs.

Hope this has answered your question. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 24 minutes later
How do guys get UTI other than sexual disease? Because I got a fever for half a day and it burned when I got done peeing. My pee was dark yellow. I don't know if I was dehydrated and got a fever at the same time or what. But I healed after half a day. Was it UTI?
Brief Answer:
Seems like UTI

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for the feedback. Yes the symptoms suggest that you had UTi and it can be aquired by many means other than UTI as sharing tiolets with somebody who has had UTI, stone itself can cause statsis which can cause UTiI, drinking less water can cause urine to concentrate and lead to UTI and sexual transmission isn't always necessary. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 20 minutes later
so did it go away? bc I have no more symptoms? should I be worried?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's better to get urinalysis and drink more water

Detailed Answer:
Hi!

Yes it can settle spontaneously because of bodies own defense but may become asymptomatic and persist so it's better to get urinalysis done and meanwhile keep oral hydration good with more than usual water intake. And urinary tract infections are manageable but you need to worry about kidney stone if your prime query was about your own self and it's better to get ultrasound KUB done and get it reviewed by a urologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 58 minutes later
I just took an at home urine test designed to detect UTI and it said I didn't have them.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It means infection may have resolved but ultrasound still needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi!

It's good. Though minor infections can be missed on strip tests but it means that worrisome of needing antibiotics urgently doesn't exist but still a urinalysis may detect protein or blood cells which may help to diagnose any wear and tear done by the stones.

Most important parameters to look are that urine output is good with no blood in it visible with naked eye. An ultrasound KUB is still important to look for any signs of urine obstruction leading to kidney swelling and also to look for calculus or stone and it's exact location and size.

Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 10 minutes later
can ultrasound kub? detect stones? I don't want ct scan due to radiation
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not all but majority of stones

Detailed Answer:
Hi!

Yes it can detect majority of stones though may miss some due to location or formulation but ultrasound combined with Xray KUB can detect almost all stones and have minimal radiation exposure. Most importantly it can detect hydronephrosis or kidney swelling if any stone obstructs urinary tract or cause hindrance.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 19 minutes later
is ultrasound radiation?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's safe and it's sound waves

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Ultrasound involves sounds waves and doesn't have usual side effects of ionionc radiations. Regards