What causes jaw line pain upon exertion and playing tennis or walking?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Dental Health
Question: I have jaw line pain when I exert, say playing tennis or walking. The pain extends to my teeth and feel like as if my teeth are suffering extreme cold. The pain goes temporally too. Has it to do with my heart and what tests would you recommend.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be related to teeth clenching habit.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your complain and presentation of symptoms pain in teeth and jaw while exertion is commonly seen as many individuals have a habit of clenching teeth tightly while exerting like playing games and walking. This causes a short bout of pain and discomfort in teeth and jaws..

There may be other reason related to vascularity and dental conditions. But as you have blood pressure and considering your age, I would like to know a few more things from you to help you in getting appropriate treatment.

1. Is there pain in only lower jaw and teeth or upper jaw as well?

2. When there is pain is it only localized to Jaw and teeth or extends to the entire face also?

3. Is there any tightness or discomfort present in chest also along with jaw and toothache or not?

4.Do you have any decay in teeth or gum infection or sinus issues?

Kindly provide the following answers so that I will guide you that how you should proceed towards treatment..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 22 hours later
Thanks.With reference to the questions asked:

1/ The pain extends to both lower and upper jaws and also temporally
2/extends to entire face
3/4 no tightness, my teeth are perfect and checked twice a year

My blood pressure is under control. It appears to come on only when I am exerting myself. I find that if I apply accupressure with my thumbs on both sides of my jaw, the discomfort subsidises .
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not related to Heart issue, seems due to teeth clenching.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome Again..

Thanks for your reply..

As per the answers the pain in your jaw, teeth and face that is extending to temporal region also seems to be due to clenching of teeth that occurs passively in some individuals and it causes muscle tightening also and all this leads to pain that is of short duration..

Nothing to worry, consult an Oral Physician and evaluated and he/she can advise you to get a Mouth Guard fabricated that should be worn while exerting..
Doing warm compresses can further relieve pain and discomfort..

Hope this information helps..
Wishing you a Good Health..

Any further queries are welcome..

If your query is resolved kindly give me aa Five Star Rating and write a positive review as a token of encouragement and appreciation..

Thanks and regards.
Dr. Honey Nandwani Arora.