• question-icon

What causes itchy red patches on the body while on Diazepam?

Posted on Fri, 28 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi i am a 29 yr old male

Winter has just hit here in australia and I just recently noticed that straight after a really hot shower i will get red patches on my skin and would be extremely itchy for about ten minutes untill my body cools down then will dissapear. Also when i grab my coffee in the morning my fingers and hand would turn red and itch for a few minutes then dissapear. Not sure what this could be. It is always happening when my body is exposed to heat. I stood next to a heater before and it happened again my legs turned red and were extremely itchy.

I have been suffered from high anxiety in the past and have been fairly stressed and anxious in the build up. I just came off a months prescription of diazepam, could this have anything to do with it?

During the day i would not itch at all only when exposed to exteme heat. I am worried as i have never really had this problem.

What do you think it could be?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cholinergic Urticaria

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr. kakkar (dermatologist).
I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.
You seem to have cholinergic urticaria that is a type of physical urticaria and usually happens in response to certain stimuli that induce increase in core body temperature e.g during excercise, a hot shower, moving in to warmer surroundings without giving time for the body to acclimatize to temperature difference, exposure to heat, eating spicy food, in response to strong emotions like embarrassment, anxiety, sadness etc. Sweating is the precipitating cause in cholinergic urticaria. Treatment is recognition and avoidance of precipitating causes. Symptomatic treatment is with oral antihistamines. You may take a tablet of cetrizine 10mg once daily in evening particularly during this time of the year when it usually happens.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 14 minutes later
Thank you

Do you think anxiety is causing it or the weather here

?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cholinergic urticaria

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

I think its the weather.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist