Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes itching in the urethra?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4852 Questions
HI I'm just about 40 and I'm wondering when I should get a prostate exam and ext.. I do have Cancer history in my family? I have an issue that has been bothering me for the last 3 weeks now. having a Urethra itch... but I can feel it when I ride my bike under my testicles I thought it was a bladder infection and have been drinking lots of water and raw Cranberry juice I haven't been able to get in to see my family doc for another week or so should i go into a walk in clinic?... You thoughts.
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possible genital infection,physical examin.needed. Detailed Answer: Hi, As you are about 40, you can start to get prostate examined after your 40s. The scheduled examination includes: - abdominal ultrasound - urine analysis - PSA - digital examination of the prostate With regards to the urethral itching, it might be related to any genital problem/infection. Please bare in mind that although urinary tract and genital tract have the same pathway in males due to their anatomical properties. The itching might be related to bacterial/candida infection of your genitalia. It is a must to consult a dermatologist as you might need to start oral prescription medicines (including anti-mycotic:e.g. fluconazole or antibiotics). You might also need to take local anti-bacterial/mycotic creams/lotions. I also advise to : - continue drinking lots of water and cranberry juice - keep good hygiene of your genitalia - avoid sexual intercourse while on treatment - get your partner (if only one) examined and treated as well - if more than 1 partner, please avoid sex and apply protected sex measures. Hope it was of help! Dr.Albana
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes itching in the urethra? 1 hour later
Thanks Dr Albana, That helps, I have been with one partner for over a year. So the itch seams to be from the tip of head through my urethra all the way into me... just never felt anything like this and haven't changed anything in my life for a while so kinda dumb founded. I will contact a doctor, but you are saying I need to contact a dermatologist?? Not my family doc to get blood and urine tests but got straight to a Dermatologist? don't i have to get a referral from my family doc being in Canada here? thanks
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Following answer to your queries.... Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. You are right, you should go to your family doctor, collect urine and blood test. If your family doctor would find it harder to treat you, then, a further consultation with dermatologist (who is also caring for venerological diseases too) is needed. At the end, all your problems are related to genital infection. I also suggest to get your partner tested and treated as well. Once again, you might need a course of oral prescription antibiotics and mycotics together with local treatment. Avoid having sex while being on treatment both of you. If you are uncircumcised, you can discuss with your doctor about circumcision as the permanent solution to your problems. Hope it was of help! Dr.Albana
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes itching in the urethra? 17 hours later
Thank you, I went in today and got blood work and urine sample taken, I am on hold with any sexual contact with my partner as she is out of the country for another week, but it will stay that way till further notice and her and I talk. Thanks you very much bye for now XXXX
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Don't forget to discuss about genital infection... Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. It is great that you got blood work and urine sample taken. In case they will be ok (especially urine sample), I'd highly recommend to discuss with your doctor about genital infection (fungal, bacterial) in order to get properly treated. Looking forward to have your results in! Dr.Albana
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor