What causes itching in the penis?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Tue, 22 Aug 2017 in Men's Health
Question: My uretha at end of my penis was itchy for about a week. Now burns a little when urinating. My doctor thought it could be yeast infection. I am using Modistat on penis end and eating dried cranberries to change Ph inuring which I read could help. It isn't going away totally but still slightly irritated. the end of my penis is slightly red but no discharge. Any thoughts? Should I take anti-fungal medicine?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
First rule out urinary tract infection. Then, use only local medicine.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

The first and most important thing to rule out is a urinary tract infection.
So, I don't know if your doctor did a urinalyses but I would recommend that you consider it. It may be even just a simple urinary tract infection, and in men it is important to get treated well.

Then, if you have ruled out the UTI, and since it seems to be getting better, I would recommend using the fungal treatment only locally, because it is not necessary to use the oral treatment because it has a lot of side effects.
You can buy over the counter a terbinafine 1% cream, and apply once/day thick layer, at the area that is red and itchy. It should take about 1-2 weeks to get completely better.
Meanwhile drink plenty of fluids to wipe out the possible bacteria and fungal and keep the area as dry as possible.

If worse or not better, I would recommend seeing a local doctor.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 4 hours later
The exterior of my penis is not red or itchy. just the tip at the uretha. I have been putting Modistat there. Are you suggesting another over the counter med. Also, only irritated when urinating although tip is sore. When not urinating no discomfort.Could it still be yeast. I have not tested for UTI yet.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Testing UTI and STD is important. Modistat is fine.

Detailed Answer:

Modistat is fine. You don't need to use any other. It will take some time to work completely.

I think your problem is more UTI then a fungal infection.

Anyway, continue using Modistat because it does not cause side effects, and it will just remove any possible fungal infection there. But the main thing is to rule out UTI.

Of course, if you are sexually active and if there is any chance of having sexually transmitted infection, you need to do the testing to rule them out too.

Hope this answers your questions.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T