What causes itching and red spots on forearm and thigh?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My Forearm and thigh skin became itchy for paste few days with red spots all over as seen in attached photograph. Please advice.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Scabies & Lichen planus are my possibilities; Need more information

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query and i have also reviewed the images.

I can see excoriated, red bumps on anterior thigh and forearms.

I will keep a possibility of either Scabies Or Acute Lichen Planus.
Scabies is an infection caused by a mite, sarcoptes scabiei.
It presents with itchy bumps at various body sites like thighs, arms, abdomen, scrotum as well as penis in males.
Itching in scabies is particularly more at night.
In scabirs there may also be a history of itchy skin lesions in other family members too.

Lichen planus is a close possibility and may also present with red, itchy bumps at various body sites like torso, arms and legs.

I would like to know more from you regarding your query..

Is any one else in your family also itching? Or has similar skin lesions?

Is itching more at night?

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 2 days later
itching is more at early morning between 5 to 6 am. Besides same problem occurred 4 years back.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treat for scabies

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

I would like to treat you empirically for scabies.

I suggest a single whole body application of 1% gamma benzene hexachloride (Lindane) Or 5% permethrin cream/lotion, from neck downwards to the whole body, left overnight for 8-12 hours and followed by bath next morning.

It is available on prescription.

I suggest that you visit a doctor in your region for a confirmatory diagnosis and for the needful

I would also suggest you to take an OTC oral antihistamine e.g cetrizine 10 mg once daily in evening for itching.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist