What causes irregular heart beats with numbness in fingers?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi my symptoms are... irregular heart beats goes fast and then slows down. I felt really cold with chills just a few minutes ago and it has since gone away a bit. My left sholder hurts constantly but it get worse and better but it never really goes away. hard time catching my breath that come and goes. My pinky and ring finger started feeling numb when I felt really bad shortes of breath it also gets worse for a bit and then calms down a bit but hasn't completely gone away since I first felt it about 30 mins ago.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following answer to your query.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

I would like to say that your symptoms seems typical for anxiety and stress related irregular heart beats. The most typical symptoms suggestive for anxiety disorders are:
- Fast heart beats and then slow down.
- Shortness of breath
- Finger numbness

However, I would like to recommend to do the following examinations in order to exclude other (than anxiety) diagnosis:
- blood work (exclude anemia)
- ecg
- cardiac echo
- holter monitoring
- chest x ray
- neck and shoulders x ray
- abdominal ultrasound.

If only all these examinations will result normal, then your symptoms are caused by stress and anxiety.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 13 minutes later
I have been using Monstat 7 for the past 2 nights to treat an apparent yeast infection. Could it be an allergic reaction to the medicine? My left elbow is starting to hurt since my last inquiry. My heart feels as if it's fluttering or skipping a beat and I feel very fatigued. Should I just try to fall asleep to see if the symptoms will pass?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following answer to your query

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Since you are using Monistat 7 for the last two days, i would like to make some questions.

1. Do you have any known form of allergy?
2. Have you ever used Monistat 7 before?
3. The shoulder and elbow pain has began before or after starting Monistat 7?

If you never have had any allergic reaction or you have used Monistat 7 before (and no allergicreaction were observed) than you should try to sleep the pain and other symptoms will pass away (shoulder pain or joint pain is a side effect of Monistat 7).

Otherwise you should go to ER for a proper evaluation.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu

Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 11 minutes later
1-I've never used Monistat before.
2-I don't have any medicine allergies that I know off. I only have some common allergies such as grass and dust. I have some allergy medicine that I could take. 3-I had some shoulder discomfort before the medicine but it wasn't til this morning that it started hurting and it has gotten worse throughout the day and all the other symptom started piggy backing the pain as the day went by. I've been trying to massage the pain away all day.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following answer to your query.

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Since you have had shoulder pain in the past, you should know that Monistat 7 may aggravate shoulder pains. This is why the shoulder pain is a side effect of Monistat 7.

You are reporting to have allergy from dust and grass, (but not from medications ) this put you in low risk for allergic reaction from Monistat 7. However, I would like to suggest taking the antiallergic medication (you already have at home). If the symptoms disappear than you should never use again Monistat 7.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 6 minutes later
I will give the allergy pill a try.

Thank you for all your responses.

Good night from the XXXX
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wish you all the best from XXXX!

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,
Wish you all the best from XXXX!
Dr. Shehu
p.s: If you are satisfied with my answers, please close this query and rate it to maximum.