• question-icon

What causes internal bleeding in lungs after a surgery?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in General Health
Question: Hello there my mother was admitted in the hospital with breathing problems with no pain but shortness of breath at first the doctor told her she had bloodclots in her left lung they then gave her emergency surgery but then still has the issue of internal bleeding where the doctor cannot seem to find where the bleeding is coming from and now 2 days later she is back in the hospital can you help me understand what might be the problem?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Has she been taken into the OR again?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what your mother is experiencing. This must be hard for you to deal with. It is difficult to tell where this bleeding is coming from without further examination. However, if it is severe, the surgeons would open her up to look at what the possible origin is and fix. If it can be handled by administering blood products, that would be done. I will like to know whether she is on any anti coagulants or not. This is because anticoagulants might be the reason why she is bleeding even from minor vessels that shouldn’t have been a problem any longer. Also, ask what the INR value is and report to me.

I hope this helps. I wish your mother a speedy recovery. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Dr. Ivo Ditah