What causes insomnia and dizziness while on Nortriptyline?

Dr. Ralph Chambers

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in General Health
Question: I was recently prescribed nortriptyline (10mg) for vestibular migraines. I only took 2 doses at bedtime as it gave me bad insomnia at night and very dizzy during day. I understand that it takes awhile for medication to take effect and that side effects should diminish. Is there an approximate time for side effects to diminish? Are there alternative medications?
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. It may take up to two weeks for the side effects to resolve

Detailed Answer:
Hello. With tricyclic antidepressants like nortriptyline it can take up to two weeks for the side effects to dissipate.

Alternate treatments would be a course of prednisone, meclizine, benadryl, or Valium but they too may have side effects

Please let me know if you need any more information
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T