• question-icon

What causes indigestion, itchy throat, cough and sternum burning?

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I've had continual indigestion for 5 weeks now. I've never had it before. It feels like my sternum is on fire. I have a ton of gas. I feel like something is in my throat and inside my throat is itchy that I feel the need to cough. I have been taking Nexium 40mg for two weeks now and it feels like it is getting worse and not better. I am now getting to the point where I don't want to eat because I know I am going to feel worse afterward. What is wrong? Could this be something more serious?
Answered by Dr. Samir Patil 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms suggest gastroesophageal reflux disease GERD

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through the details you have provided. I understand your concern. Your symptoms seem to suggest that you have Gastro esophageal reflux disease.( GERD).
My advise would be to continue Nexium for one more week. If the symptoms do not improve by the end of four weeks or worsen, the next step would be to get a upper GI endoscopy to look for erosions or ulceration in the esophagus.
I would suggest the following precautions
avoid tea/ coffee, mint, chocolate, citrus fruits, chocolate, alcohol and smoking.
do not lie down immediately after your meals.
suggest regular exercise as a walk or jog.
You can take an over the counter antacid on an as and when required basis whenever you get heart burn.
hope this helps.
regards
dr Samir Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Samir Patil

Gastroenterologist