What causes indigestion and nausea while on Cimetidine?

Posted on Fri, 6 Oct 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have never had stomach trouble or indigestion and I'm a 64 year old very healthy female. On Tuesday night I woke up with pain at the top of my stomach. It has been ongoing and on Wednesday I started taking Cimetidine, which definitely helps during the day. I have been able to do normal things. I would think, since it seems unrelated to food consumption, that it would be going away. Wednesday night I slept fine. Last night I woke up constantly with pain and a little nausea. I am having no other symptions, chest pains, dizziness or anything else....just aggravating pressure and pain. I tried sleeping sitting up and that helps a little. Is this something I should be concerned about and should I go to see my doctor? Or is there another OTC medicine that might make a difference?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
peptobismol and probiotics may help

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Pain or pressure in the upper part of the abdomen/epigastrium can be due to gastritis which is inflammation/irritation of the stomach.

It can be due to foods or reflux , since there is no previous history of stomach issues then it should resolve within a 3 to 5 days with treatment.
If the pain is severe, however, then it would be best to be seen

You may want to consider pepto bismol which help with the nausea along with other symptoms.
This can be used with the cimetidine if you wish, there are no adverse interactions between these medications and they may augment each other.

Probiotics have also been found to be helpful in resolving issues of the GI tract

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James