• question-icon

What causes increased pain in the hip while climbing stairs?

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Doctor, I have lingering pain in my right hip area which becomes more painful when going up stairs.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
bursitis or osteoarthritic changes in the hip joint.

Detailed Answer:
The pain in hip that increases while climbing stairs can be due to bursitis or osteoarthritic changes in the hip joint.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
Right now you can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen) Double Strength after breakfast and after dinner. It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of your mild symptoms in 3-5 days.
I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for physical examination. A few blood tests, X-rays of the hip, CT / MRI scans of the hip will help us diagnose the condition and help us in choosing the best approach of treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon