What causes increased heart rate?

Dr. Sukhvinder Singh

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi,
I have low blood pressure normally but not too low. When I just walk around I notice my heart rate going up without really doing much. I'm 45 female, lost 40 pounds over the last year and am about normal weight now. I can hear my heart rate when I'm laying down and can really feel it if I exert myself but it doesn't seem right since I'm not in bad shape as I exercise but have very low endurance, always have.
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
please see below

Detailed Answer:
Dear madam
Increase in heart rate with activity is a normal response of body. Excessive increase in heart rate with relatively lesser degree of activity can be due to various reasons. These include low hemoglobin, deconditioned muscles, low pumping capacity of heart, valve disorders, lung diseases and general debility. Some people have this as a normal response to activity.
The feeling of awareness of heart brats can be there in Anxious individuals, those with high heart rate and with conditions of high volume of blood pumped by heart.
Best way to decipher the exact cause is to get a good clinical examination by an internist and proceed accordingly.
Hope this helps. Feel free to discuss further.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder