What causes increased SGPT and SGOT levels?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Here myself XXXXXX . my height is 5'-10'', weight 83 Kg and age is 43yrs. Yesterday I have carried out blood test, Results were SGOT=56U/L ; SGPT=88U/L; cholesterol=154mg/dl; LDL=88.2mg/dl ;HDL=29mg/dl and Triglycerides=184mg/dl.
What should I do to get back my lever to its normal condition?
I never drink Alcohol.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please get ultrasound of abdomen done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

I have gone through your reports in detail.
Increased SGPT indicates liver injury.
Increase in SGPT may be due to many reasons like hepatitis,alcohol intake,altered lipid profile,medicines,auto immune causes etc.
Increased SGOT is non specific and it increases in many conditions.
You need proper clinical examination.

You need few more investigations like random blood sugar(RBS),renal function test(RFT),viral markers,complete liver function test,urine RE/ME.
You also need Ultrasound of abdomen and prothrombin time (PT).
Lipid profile is almost normal and you should also increase your physical activity in the form of exercise,walking.

You should avoid fatty and fried food.

For conditions like you, I suggest my patients to take tablet Ursodeoxycholic acid 300 mg twice daily for three months. It help in regeneration of liver cells.
Patient should also take vitamin B complex capsules once daily.

You are taking right medicines.You should take it regularly.

It is good that you don't take alcohol.

Please get at least ultrasound of abdomen done.Ultrasound of abdomen is important to know the condition of liver.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for your valuable suggestions. I will definitely go for ultrasound of whole abdomen and your suggested investigations. One more thing I want to clear from you that, Whether your suggested tablet URSODEOXYCHOLIC WITH UDIPLUS OR WITHOUT UDIPLUS?
Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please find detail answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXX
Thanks for writing back

UDIPLUS is a trade name.Its composition is Ursodeoxycholic acid.So,you can take Udiplus.

You should definitely go for USG of abdomen.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX