What causes hypomenorrhea?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: My periods have become "not normal". It's practically just spotting, with one very heavy day of actual bleeding. So far three months in a row I thought i was pregnant, but test was negative. Do I need to be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hormonal changes, infection or normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Scanty flow during the periods can be due to the hormonal disturbances like hypothyroidism, or due to infection like tuberculosis in the uterine lining.
However, sometimes as the age advances, the changes in the body leads to decreased blood flow in periods, and this is completely normal.
I will suggest you to get your hormonal profile and ultrasound done to confirm the diagnosis and get appropriate treatment timely.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar