What causes high fever, fast heart beat and cough in an infant?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi, my 1.8yr old son is suffering from high fever i.e 101.1 degrees (this morning) since last night. His heart beat is fast observed today morning. We gave crocin cyrup dose last night and today morning .he also coughs(wet) in a while. Please advice??
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Give paracetamol with some cough syrup

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

Most common cause of cough and fever in this age is some viral infection.
In viral infection fever remains of high grade during initial two to three days.
Giving paracetamol and some cough syrup containing combination of sputum thinning agent like ambroxol with some bronchodilator (to decrease airway spasm) like salbutamol helps.
The average weight of 1.8 year old child is about 10-12 kgs.The dose of paracetamol is 10-15 mg/kg/dose.So for this age 5 ml of crocin (contains 120 mg)4-6 times a day will be sufficient.
Cough syrup with like Ambrodil-s/ambrolite s which contains ambroxol with salbutamol should be given.
Please get it prescribed by a physician as it is a prescription medicine.
If fever persists longer,there is any breathing difficulty or baby gets irritable/lethargic please consult a pediatrician for evaluation and management accordingly.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.