What causes high fever, dry cough, weakness and running nose?
Hello and welcome,
I am sorry to hear about your wife being sick.
With a high fever and cough, I think of two main problems: influenza (flu) and pneumonia.
Flu is caused by a virus so there is no medication to cure it. Symptoms are fever, body aches and sometimes chills, fatigue, and cough. There can be a runny nose too, like a cold.
Pneumonia symptoms usually involve a fever and cough. The cough is usually productive of purulent sputum - but not always. We do prescribe antibiotics for pneumonia as it is usually caused by bacteria. To diagnose pneumonia, the doctor listens to the lung fields and checks her chest xray. If she does not start to get better, or if the fever goes up or she has increased coughing, she should go in to clinic/doctor to be examined.
I noticed you listed both alleve and ibuprofen for her medications. Alleve is naproxen so both alleve and ibuprofen are in the same family - they are both NSAIDs. So I would advise using one or the other - not both.
Please let me know if I can provide further information to help you.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes a dry cough
- High fever cold and running nose on dolo meftal help
- What causes uti with high fever and coughing
- What is the remedy for dry cough and fever
- What causes running nose
- Dry cough high fever no appetite taken ibuprofen electrolytes treatment
- Dry cough sore rib muscles running nose and headache
- Fever cough and running nose
- What causes high fever with appetite losscoughing and running nose
- What causes dry cough after fever