What causes high body temperature at night?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Infections
Question: Sweats sometimes at night with body temp @ 95.7
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need some more information sir, please do respond, thank you

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. I would like to first ask a few questions to better understand your condition and cause if you don't mind sir:

+Do you have any additional symptoms like frequent urination, increased thirst and appetite anytime through the day or specifically around night time?

+When the sweating occurs at night, how long before had you taken your last meal and was it in sufficient quantities?

+Was the room temperature comfortable?

+Did you also have any additional symptoms like a headache, or dizziness, etc.?

+Are you on any other medications other than naproxen?

+Medical history consisting of any underlying conditions like diabetes, hypertension, etc.?

I look forward to hearing from you to help you further.

Best wishes sir.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 31 minutes later
I take Prostavar for BPH/frequent urination.Take Buspar.No thirst,appetite,headache,dizziness,although I used to have spells of dizziness lasting several seconds infrequently in the daytime.No hypertension or other conditions.I do eat late around 1 am and go to bed about 3-4 a.m.I have weight that when I do lose some I gain even more usually even though I dont crash diet.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
I have a few suggestions, try them and get back to me

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you so much for your response.

Based on the provided information I have 2 suggestions:

1. Try to have a fruit (e.g. orange) or a glass of juice (fruit juice) with some amount of sugar, about 30 minutes prior to bedtime (whatever that time may be). And notice if your sweat spells reduce

2. Could you get your blood sugar tested somehow during the sweat spells at night?

Also, you did not answer my question about the temperature in the room being favorable and not too hot. I am assuming it is normal and favorable which is why you did not reply to that question.

About your weight issues, the current scheme mentioned by you interprets to a low metabolism. I would recommend the following:

1. Eat 5-6 smaller meals instead of 2-3 larger ones
2. Drink plenty of water
3. Try to exercise at least twice a day (15 minutes each time)
4. Do not be idle or lazy, try to move around and be as active as possible
5. Avoid calorific food
6. Do not leave large gaps between meals
7. Sleep at a fixed time everyday

I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please do keep in touch with me and keep me updated on whether the suggestion worked or not. Because if at all it doesn't then I will have to put forward other recommendations and possible diagnosis.

Best wishes. :)
Dr. Shoaib Khan