What causes heavy menstrual bleeding?

Dr. Zenab Tambawala

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: I've Been started on birth control. But I've gotten my period 8 days late.I did get it thefirst 2 days where really light after it got really heavy where I have to wear both. (Reason why they put me on birth control) my period typically last 5 to 6 days it's been 8 days now with cramps. Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Zenab Tambawala 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Reason for heavy bleeding ??

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, Welcome to HCM,
I can understand your concern,

It is necessary to evaluate the cause of heavy bleeding before giving you hormonal pills to reduce flow.

As, unless cause is identified it will not work

Please get evaluated by a gynaecologist for the diagnosis of the specific cause for bleeding.

Have tests for thyroid function, prolactin level and other hormones done..
Have you done an ultrasound to see the lining of the womb yet ?

Please let me know if there's any further queries

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Zenab Tambawala 1 hour later
I've been through the ultra sound they didn't find anything wrong..just that I have a heavy flow.. it's always last the same amount time which is why I track it.. except this month
Answered by Dr. Zenab Tambawala 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
tranexamic acid

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

If its only the heavy flow and no pathology identified on ultrasound.

Evaluation of TSH, Prolactin, FSH, LH become necessary to rule out hormonal cause.

You should consider Tab.Tranexemic acid thrice a day on the days of heavy flow to decrease the flow.

A combination of Tranexamic acid and Mefenemic acid will decrease the flow and reduce pain as well during the period.

Hope this helsp.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar