What causes heartburn, difficulty in breathing and nausea when diagnosed with hiatal hernia?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 10 Mar 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have a 2 inch hiatal hernia. I have major heartburn, gas, difficult breathing and throwing up. After I eat the pain in unbearable, and I have tried eating more meals with smaller amounts and changing my diet. Nothing seems to help at this time. I have been on different meds for the pass 7 months and one of them relives the pain for a short time, but also puts me to sleep. I have trouble sleeping due to the heartburn.
What is the best solution for this, and what can I do to reduce the pain.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Severe GERD and gastritis.Optimal doses of medications should be taken initially.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks or choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns,
As per your query answers are-

Hiatal hernia is the most common cause of acid peptic disorder.
Treatment of acid peptic disorder consists of two stages-
1)Controlling over production of acid-Proton pump inhibitor like Rabeprazole is very effective in controlling production of acid. Rabeprazole should be taken once daily in morning empty stomach and nothing should be taken for next 30 minutes.
Any other PPI won't help that much so try to get a prescription for Rabeprazole. Results of Rabeprazole is far superior to any other PPI in controlling acid peptic disorders.

An antacid Oxetacaine (10mg), Aluminium Hydroxide, Milk of Magnesia should be taken twice or thrice daily with every meal.

2)Preventing the reflux of acid back from stomach to esophagus-Domperidone should be taken as 30 mg slow release tablet once daily.This would stop the reflux of acid back into esophagus.

Pain is due to inflammation caused by irritation of mucosa in gut by acid.As acid production and reflux would be controlled by these drugs pain would go away.
Avoid pain killers in any form.
Hope i was helpful.
Discuss the option with your gastroenterologist.
In case you have any other query please feel free to follow up.
If possible please attach details of medications with doses and duration tried by you.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng