What causes hearing loud noise in head with sinus infection?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have this loud noise in my head that sounds like locust. It started a month ago. I was having sinus trouble at first. My ears would fill like there filling up the stop. My face started hurting and I treated it like a sinus infection and the pain went away.
The noise is loud enough I can't ignore it also I continue to have a mild headache and mild dizziness but together it makes me pretty worthless.
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The noise is known as Tinnitus.

2. Get your ears and hearing checked for treatable causes of tinnitus. For example, ear wax and middle ear fluid due to sinusitis are treatable causes.

3. Tinnitus usually is common with age related hearing loss (Presbyacusis).

4. I have noticed patients who have increased Tinnitus when they are stressed, have fluctuations of blood pressure, low hemoglobin, low blood sugar levels and so on. I must emphasize that in a vast majority of patients of tinnitus, the cause is never found. However there are further treatment options depending on the type of tinnitus.

5. Gingko biloba, multi-vitamins and anti-oxidants are commonly used treatments to help reduce Tinnitus. Transtympanic steroids, HyperBaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT), Caroverine and use of special hearing aids are some more potential treatments.

6. Since you are being evaluated for a recurrence of an Insulinoma, advise your physicians to rule out a MEN (Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia) Syndrome that may be responsible for your varied symptoms.

If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.