What causes headaches, chills and fever in a child?
Neurological assessment needed
Hello and Welcome
I appreciate your concern
Headache, chills and drowsiness in a young child are danger signs that need to be evaluated. Meningitis and encephalitis can present in similar ways. He needs to be examined by a pediatrician for neck stiffness and signs like photophobia. A complete neurological exam should also be done to look for any focal deficit. His vaccination profile should also be revisited and the management initiated accordingly. 96 degrees Fahrenheit is quiet a low temperature. Try to keep him warm and give him plenty of fluids if oral intake is fine. Tylenol or ibuprofen can be given for the headache for now. Please consult a pediatrician in this regard to decide on starting antibiotics/antivirals, whether CSF examination or brain imaging is required or not.
Wishing you best of health
Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.
For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below
Dr. M.S. Khalil
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes vomiting and body chill with fever
- Fever chills and rigors cause
- Child high fever headache chills
- Constipation fever chills headache
- What causes fever and chills after reclast infusion
- Fever/chills causes
- Fever chills headache diarrhea what is it
- Yawning fever chills headache
- Having chills sweating and fever what could be the cause
- I get chills and fevers in the evening what is the cause
- What causes weight gain inspite of being on Effexor for depression?
- What does twinging sensation in and around stomach indicate?
- Suggest treatment for pressure under lower left rib cage
- Suggest treatment for scleroderma
- Is Stematil safe with Sertraline?
- What causes low MPV?
- Does drinking excess water lead to reduced kidney function?
- Does Claritin Redi medication cause lymphadenopathy?
- Can hepatitis-C be contracted through a cut wound in the hand?
- What causes numbness in legs and face after taking steroid injections in...