What causes headache, weight gain, depressive mood and profuse sweating?

Question
I HAVE A FRIEND WHO IS A 46 YR OLD MALE WITH NO PAST MEDICAL HISTORY. HE IS A RELATIVELY LITE SMOKER FOR 6 YEARS. AFTER 4 DAYS OF A HEADACHE THAT STARTED IN HIS NECK ,WENT UP TO HIS OCCIPITAL AND AROUND BOTH SIDES TO HIS FOREHEAD, WE WENT TO THE ER. hIS BODY TEMP WAS LOW, APPROX. 87. They said he had aa normal EKG, head CT was normal neck xray was normal. His troponin level was .078. They admitted him and did stress test, echo cardiogram and more blood work. His TSH was 5.78 and his T4 was 1.4. They told him that there was no concern for either his heart or thyroid. His headache was probably muscular and sent him home with muscle relaxers and pain killers. 1 week later he still has neck and head pain but much milder. I am concerned that although they felt his thyroid is ok because of his normal free t4 level, they are overlooking basic symptoms of hypothyroidism. Unusual weight gain, Depressive mood, profuse sweating with little exertion, fatigue. Should we be concerned

Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Lohit K 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
No thyroid problem.Life style modifications.Evalua

Detailed Answer:

I went through the query and appreciate your concern towards your friend.

Since the thyroid hormones and TSH levels are normal the chance of being hypothyroid is negligible. The cardiac evaluation also suggests no recent cardiac problem.

Weight gain, Depressive mood, profuse sweating with little exertion and fatigue needs to be concerned. The cause may be decreased protein, diabetes, renal problem or sedentary life style. The above said pathological conditions needs to be ruled out with complete hemogram, renal and liver function test and blood sugar levels. If these are normal then no need to worry much and he should do life style modifications in diet and exercise. Ask him to do regular 30 min exercise for at least 5 days a week. These will help him.

I hope this information answered your question and helpful to you. Feel free to ask for any further queries. I will be glad to answer them.

Wish you good health.