• question-icon

What causes headache in a person with scoliosis in back?

Posted on Mon, 6 Jul 2015 in Back Pain
Question: Hi terrible headaches that start when I sit in a chair for example when I eat a meal. it starts in my upper spine between my shoulder blades radiates outwards through my rib cage and stiffens my neck. I get strong pain in my nose as well and behind my eyes. I have scoliosis inmy back.2 ruptured discs 4 and 5 in my lumbar spine and arthritis in my neck. no matter what I am always in pain after sleeping. I take tramadol but while it helps lower back pain it does nothing for upper back pain and headaches. I can't take anti inflammatory medication because of my ulcer
Answered by Dr. Ralf Von Seckendorff 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Very likely strong contracture, physical therapy, injections, arcoxia

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

your headache is very likely caused by very tense spine muscles (contracture) do to skoliosis. It is very important that you keep your back muscles strong and balanced. Advisable is physical therapy, local warmth, and sports like swimming, joga or pilates. If you can't take any nsaid's due to ulcer, arcoxia can be an alternative, which can be combined with tramadol also, your doctor knows about that. What can also help is local injections with local anesthetics close the tender spots in your spine, ask your doc about that also.

Hope this is helping you , if you have any clarificatons you can get back to me, if this was helpful please kindly rate my answer. Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Ralf Von Seckendorff 15 hours later
Thankyou so much for replying I'll certainly do everything you have suggested
Answered by Dr. Ralf Von Seckendorff 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glad i could help

Detailed Answer:
Wishing you all the best please kindly rate. Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Ralf Von Seckendorff