What causes headache and pain in the left forehead?

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Sat, 24 Feb 2018 in General Health
Question: I have a headache. Migraine, I think. Pain at left forehead lasting 24 hours currently. Whar should I do for relief?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions

Detailed Answer:
hi
I am Dr Mittal
I've read your message and I think I can help you.

I would require some more information as follows
1. is this the first episode of headache and have you had headache previously
2. is there any associated symptom like nausea vomiting difficulty in looking towards the Sun or increased pain when you hear loud sounds
3. did anyone in the family have a positive history of headaches also
4. is the pain constant or is it on and off or does it seem to be pulsatile
5. if this is not the first headache I would like to know how long you are bad headaches and in a month how many days do you have a headache.
6. what are the regular medications that used for headache and how frequently do you take them
7. have you noticed any Trigger or relieving factors for your headache.

for the time being I would suggest a tablet called Naxdom 250 for the pain relief.
please take it after half an hour of taking a tablet Pantocid 40 mg.
taking a short nap after taking the headache might help in getting the Relief faster.

please feel free to respond to my questions whenever suitable.
it might be advisable to avoid computer and XXXXXXX screens when you have the headache. it will only exacerbate the pain.

best of luck
Dr Mittal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 46 hours later
1.I have symptoms every couple of months and have for years.
2. Nausea.
3. No family with headaches.
4.For the 1st two days the pain is usually constant. It usually takes 2 more days of pulsating headache until it is over.
5. The headaches typically last 2 days with severe symptons and another 2 days. The total of 4 days is usual.The symptoms started about 5 years ago.
6.Advil and Tylenol are the treatments I use. I take them every six hours. One or the other. I do not use both at one time.
7. I have no known triggers.
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions

Detailed Answer:
HI.
Thanks for the response.
After those symptoms, I am certain that this is migraine.
However, since the onset has been recent in the past 5 years and there ha's been no family history I would suggest testing an mri brain and ESR when possible.
Since the headache do not last for 15 days of the month or more, I think it would be fine to just take acute medicines. If the headache occurs for more than 15 days in a month , migraine prophylaxis would be needed.
As for medicines, I will suggest you to try the medicines I suggested to you. Naxdom and pantocid. What's more , take them as soon as the headache starts for best effect. Another option you have is zolmitriptan. This comes as a Nasal spray and helps on the days when you have nausea and vomiting. Again take as soon as possible , and try to relax or sleep thereafter.
Triggers are usually common in the migraine. one needs to look for them. they need not always be the common ones like sunlight. I have known patients with trigger as coffee where so many others are relieved with coffee. SInce your headaches are spaced, it may be difficult to find one. keeping a Headache diary might help locate the trigger. Avoiding the trigger reduces the frequency of headaches.
Best of luck. Dr Mittal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng