What causes head banging in an infant?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: 9 month old baby girl born on due date weighing 6pound 14 ounces had influenza a at 3 months of age started seizure like fits at 4 months old had upto 10 a day both during sleep and while awake meeting all milestones on or just before average despite right hand side weakness has 6 teeth that she cross cut, last 2 months she has started hitting herself in the face and head both closed and open fist and headbutting the floor until she gives herself a blood nose also headbutts the floor with the back of her head. doesnt seem angry or upset when doing the headbutting
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Head Banging

Detailed Answer:
Hi..Head banging is surprisingly common. Up to 20 percent of babies and toddlers bang their head on purpose, although boys are three times more likely to do it than girls. Head banging often starts in the second half of the first year and peaks between 18 and 24 months of age. Your child's head banging habit may last for several months, or even years, though most children outgrow it by age 3.

Possible reasons your toddler may bang his head: self comfort, attention seeking etc.

Do not worry.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D