question-icon

What causes fullness after first meal and stomach distension with chronic constipation?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016
Question: My stomach distends only when standing. The most distended is my hypogastric/mom's pubis region. Possible helpful info I do have chronic constipation, which itake medicine for and notice no difference in the look of the area after a bowel movement. I'm 5'4''128 lbs. I do maybe eat 1000 calories on average then also binge eat 3 times a week. I usually am full after my first meal(lunch) and then don't get the urge to eat again.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini (21 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Gastroparesis

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

You have dyspeptic symptoms.
You have completed treatment for SIBO.

Feel full after the first meal, delayed emptying of stomach with a normal pylorus ( exit of the stomach) point towards gastroparesis only. It can be confirmed with a gastric emptying scan.

You may get relief with prokinetic medications like Reglan, Itopride etc.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Dr.R.K.
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini (31 minutes later)
Thank you for getting back to me. I attached some pictures of the distention. Would this correspond with the gastroparesis? Or a symptom of a symptom caused by gastroparesis? Anyway to flatten it out?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini (10 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Answer given below

Detailed Answer:
Gastroparesis cannot be diagnosed by looking at how much tummy is distended.
As I said earlier, a gastric emptying scan should be done to confirm the diagnosis.
Looking at the picture, it does not look very much distended.

As suggested earlier, you can take prokinetics for relief.

Dr.R.K.
Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist